We have a bursary award available for young people from the UK to go on Raleigh's expedition programme. As a charity we work hard to make sure that our programmes are accessible to everyone. We recognise that not everyone's personal situation is the same so we offer bursaries to go to Tanzania, Costa Rica & Nicaragua or Borneo. This enables everyone to have a fair chance of taking part in Raleigh, especially those who, without this additional support, would find the full fundraising target too hard to reach.
Our bursaries are means tested, based on household income, and applicants will also have to complete a telephone interview as part of the selection process. Please see below for the additional selection criteria.
We have bursary's available available for our expeditions in October 2014 and 2015.
- Bursaries that subsidise one-third or two-thirds off the fundraising target for 5, 7 or 10 week expeditions.
Please note that medical costs including vaccinations, visas, flights and personal kit are not included in Raleigh International's fundraising targets and are additional costs that applicants will need to consider.
You are eligible to apply if you:
- Are aged 17-24 at the time of departure on expedition.
- Have British citizenship or have permanent residence status in the UK (due the nature of the funding we have received).
- Can commit to a 5 (summer only), 7 or 10 week expedition.
- You have NOT already applied to go on the expedition.
- Would be able to demonstrate to us that, due to your personal financial situation, you would not be able to take part in an expedition without a bursary.
- Would be able to demonstrate your understanding of a Raleigh expedition and how you will benefit from this experience.
How to apply
- First fill in a bursary enquiry form online. This will allow you to access the bursary application form.
- Then complete and submit the bursary application form. You will be asked to include information on your household income including government support (we will ask you to provide proof of household income); personal objectives for the expedition and fundraising ideas, and include the name of a referee who can support your application.
- Once your application is submitted it will be screened by us here at Head Office. If you meet the eligibility criteria and give sufficient details of your motivation to join a Raleigh expedition and fundraising ideas, you will be shortlisted and invited to a phone interview which will last 20 - 30 minutes.
- If you are successful at phone interview, you will then be formally offered a Raleigh bursary.
- You will need to secure your place on expedition with a £200 deposit within a month of being offered a bursary. Failure to do so will result in us having to withdraw our offer.
As a charity we rely on funding from trusts, individual donors, companies and government to be able to provide bursaries to young people. We are extremely grateful to the Myles Robinson Memorial Trust who generously support our bursary fund.